Friday, February 12, 2016

Someone cloned Lego’s Millenium Falcon, and it’s a new maker [Lepin Star Wars The Force Awakens Millenium Falcon]

IMG_20160209_205915Well. The allure of cashing in from a sure-fire merchandising behemoth like Star Wars produced a new entrant in the Lego clone scene, Lepin. Getting another maker isn’t exactly surprising, it’s that they jumped into the fray with huge sets from the get-go. To be honest, the Millenium Falcon isn’t the first of their kits to come over. The first I’ve seen from them is Kylo Ren’s Command Shuttle, an equally-huge set (but something I personally skipped, not being a fan of the ship design in general). So yeah, Lepin came in with a splash tidal wave, not being content in starting off with the usual 8-character themed minifig sets.

This seems to have been a good decision, too. Aside from the now-taken-for-granted marketability of Star Wars, being first to release full-sized clone sets from SW: TFA makes them the only choice for people looking for more than just Rey or Kylo minifigs. Believe me when I tell you that the initial shipments for the Falcon sold pretty quickly, and these are from resellers with markups, not just from retailers in Divisoria.

I personally got mine from a reseller in Greenhills, so the PhP 2,000 (~USD 42.08) I paid for it has markup tacked on to it. I will update this post later when I’ve confirmed Divisoria pricing for this.

IMG_20160209_205934

Here are a couple of shots of the box art. Seems to me like they’ve decided to clone many of Lego’s own box art for the same item.

IMG_20160209_210150

IMG_20160209_210012

They saw it fit to not anger the powers-that-be (or something) because they went with Star Wnrs (winners? wieners?) with the logo. They’ve helpfully provided a handle at the top of the box, to help facilitate carrying the box.

IMG_20160209_210059

Sure, it covers some of the minifigs advertised as included in the set, but you also have that same detail in the front art already, so it’s fine.

So, yeah. New manufacturer, aiming for the stars with their initial releases. The big question is, can they deliver?

Yes and no.

Let’s get the bad news out of the way first. Lepin’s minifigs are pretty bad. Bad in the sense that the painted faces are larger than they should be, and bad in the sense that they don’t exactly provide you with the promised hair pieces on their box art.

Look, here’s Tasu Leech from the box art:

IMG_20160211_223033

And here’s what’s actually included in the set:

IMG_20160211_222959

IMG_20160211_223010

Between the comical enlarged face and the totally-different hair, there’s nothing with this minifig that’s seemingly worth holding on to (unless you actually like the lulz).

They also provide a surfer dude hair for Finn, alongside giving arms that are colored differently from the torso, even though Finn is supposed to be wearing a jacket:

IMG_20160211_223048

They did the same for Solo:

IMG_20160211_223100

Here’s the whole set of minifigs included:

IMG_20160211_222941

Rey obviously sports the wrong hair piece, too, and the gang member was provided with Clark Kent’s hair piece instead of a helmet. Only Chewie and BB-8 escaped certain reimagination. BB-8 itself looks pretty spiffy:

IMG_20160211_223202

Why they can’t provide the same quality for the other minifigs, I have no idea.

The minifig issue is all the more unfortunate, because, hell, look at the actual Millenium Falcon:

IMG_20160211_223240

It’s absolutely gorgeous. Lepin’s pieces are well-made. During the first couple of steps in the build, I wondered if some of the pieces have slight imperfections that will bite me in the butt down the line with slightly-off alignment, killing the build altogether.

Suffice to say, the pieces are fine. Look how tightly these pieces connect to each other:

IMG_20160211_224630

Also of note, the particular set I got has all the pieces needed. There are times when some manufacturers fail to provide all the pieces in sets they sell, killing builds in those times that builders have no spare pieces on hand to cover for it, and in worse scenarios, kids crying.

I’d like to point out, though, that in spite of the seeming gorgeousness of this set, Lepin did cut corners where they can, possibly to save production costs. An example of this is seen in the stickers provided:

IMG_20160211_210404

Had this been a genuine Lego set, we’d have decals with just the lines printed on clear backing. Lepin opted to print on less expensive generic opaque sticker stock and just print the supposed piece color alongside the line details.

To be fair, Lepin is not alone in this. That said, it does detract from the look.

In the grand scheme of things, though, opting to use sticker stock instead of decals is, for me, a minor niggle, because again, you’re getting a really good kit. I will let these photos speak for themselves:

IMG_20160211_223651

IMG_20160211_223318

IMG_20160211_223334

IMG_20160211_223348

IMG_20160211_223406

IMG_20160211_223555

IMG_20160211_223807

IMG_20160211_223824

IMG_20160211_223939

They also did not skimp on the bottom (note the laser turret):

IMG_20160211_224418

And yes, this is a huge model. Certainly the biggest model I’ve assembled so far, as the big original Lego sets were out of my budget as a child.

IMG_20160211_224520

I spent a couple of hours building this. The build itself isn’t that hard, it’s just that there are a lot of steps involved, and if you’re not as organized with your parts (I know I’m not), finding the smaller pieces will eat up time.

I should mention here that Lepin also scrimped on the print quality of the build manual, so the bricks requested by a step are sometimes colored a bit differently in real life:

IMG_20160211_205800

Over a couple of steps, though, you’ll adjust to it.

There you have it. Minifig issues considered, it’s still a fantastic start from Lepin. It’s always nice to see a capable maker join in, especially when they provide unique sets. Highly recommended.

11 comments:

  1. I bought one as well for 2k havent started yet but im glad you say its a good buy. The original one here costs 15k!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, the original will probably increase in value over time, but for people who aren't into collecting, this Lepin set does the trick. :)

      Delete
    2. Except you are all supporting a company that is stealing from Lego. They only keep doing it because you buy the fake goods. It if happened long enough, Lego would stop producing new content. Then, we all lose.

      Delete
    3. pnieuw, you really can't stop people from buying bootlegs. Not everyone can readily afford Lego sets, especially when the lone local distributor where I am charges an extra ~10-30% on top of Lego's retail pricing, so it doesn't matter which toy store you get it from here, the inflated price will always be there.

      To be clear, though, I understand that Lego spends a great deal of money on R&D, design, and licensing, so what they charge for their sets are justifiable. This isn't a rant against their pricing.

      Buying bootlegs will always be a moral gray area for me. For people who can afford Lego, they will always see it as bad, but I also see people from poorer sectors being able to now access what Lego is about and will go on to buy actual Lego sets down the line when they move up in life. This isn't optimistic thinking, this actually happens (same as with a lot of people who pirate music, movies, and software in their younger years). This, of course, doesn't justify the outright IP theft that bootleg makers do, but I also won't begrudge people who buy bootlegs for their kids and themselves because that is all they can afford. Where I am, for example, the Lego Simpsons' house set is already around a third of the average monthly salary, and that doesn't include the aforementioned extra cost the lone local distributor tacks on to the retail price.

      Also, my interest in bootlegs isn't mutually-exclusive with my interest in actual Lego sets. I buy my fair share of Lego, to be honest, but that is outside the focus of my blog so I don't write about it here. I find it fascinating to see how these bootleg makers have raised their quality over time and I suspect I'm not alone in this fascination.

      At least on my end, and I suspect for a lot of people who buy bootlegs, Lego still gets a lot of business from us, and not just through the play sets they sell. If it helps to assuage your concerns, Lego has already lodged an IP case against Lepin, and they just had their best year ever sales-wise in the past year. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Lego outliving any of these bootleg makers - Lego actually has legions of fans young and old that would keep them afloat. It remains to be seen if these bootleg makers are actually in it for the long haul, already there are makers that I've seen without any new releases for quite some time, and there are numerous sets that they've already retired from production, even as Lego still keeps on making the same set. They could just as easily move on to the next stuff to bootleg as quickly as they jumped on to making Lego bootlegs.

      tl;dr - Don't fret about Lego dying off soon from bootlegs. They'll outlast Lepin and company. Also, bootlegs help increase Lego's fanbase down the line.

      Delete
    4. Careful, Lego stole from Kiddicraft...what comes around goes around...

      Delete
  2. Great review. This review here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk44vA21E4o they complain about the grip strength of the hinges - how did you find this? I don't want the thing to fall apart. Honest warts and all please .... it is a cheapie, and looks much better value just for the build, so I know what I'd be getting, just don't want it to be complete rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in! I do think there will be sample variances between sets, these being bootlegs and it's likely Lepin skimps on quality control (among other things) to keep their cost of production down, so I don't doubt that some sets would be more problematic than others. That said, I haven't found issue with the parts on the one I got, specifically. I have a bigger problem with the sticker print quality and minifigs than the pieces used for the Falcon itself, but your mileage may vary. Like I said, quality control isn't really a priority for bootleg makers, so substandard pieces can get into otherwise good sets. I've been pretty lucky with this, as well as the X-Wing I got from the same maker (I'll post about it in the future when time permits).

      If it helps, I've moved the thing around some and showed it to visiting friends many times over and it's still in one piece, luckily. Haha!

      Delete
  3. I have a problem with the manual - it has a substantial number of pages missing rendering it impossible to assemble the final piece...
    Anyone care to post the pages from 11 to 18 and 35 to 42 somewhere?
    Would appreciate.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use Lego's own instruction booklet here: http://lego.brickinstructions.com/men/lego_instructions/set/75105/Millennium_Falcon

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Thank you.
      I tried that, but I started with the original lepin manual and then came to the part where the pages were missing and started looking at the lego one, but there were differences - big enough to make it impossible.
      Do you know if the sets are identical? I would then simply start from the beginning with the lego manual.

      Best

      Delete